Where To Swing Dance In New Orleans
About Swing Dancing in NOLA
Dancing in New Orleans is a unique environment. Many of the opportunities to social dance are in public venues and bars and are to live music. Here are a couple things to keep in mind.
- If you're enjoying live music, show your appreciation by tipping the band.
- Support the establishment by ordering something to eat or drink. Appreciate the service staff with a good tip.
- Treat restaurant and bar staff with respect - they're working hard to make sure everyone is having a good time.
- Be respectful of patrons who are there to listen and enjoy the music and not there to dance.
- The same dance etiquette and conduct you would expect in an organized social dance extend to dancing in public spaces and venues.
Be safe and have fun! Dancing to the world class live music in town is a blast.
Where to Dance
There are many great options to go social dancing in New Orleans. With the live music readily available on Frenchmen Street, St. Claude Avenue, and elsewhere in the city, you could social dance almost every night of the week! Our 'Weekly Schedule' of commonly attended events around town is updated as often as possible.
St. Claude Social
New Orleans' premier swing dance event is held every Thursday at the Crescent City Swing headquarters. Get started with a 7:30PM introductory community lesson followed by music and social dancing from 8:30 - 11:00PM. No experience necessary - you'll learn everything you need to get started there. Follow St. Claude Social on Facebook to keep up to date on their upcoming events. Please note that St. Claude Social is closed for the month of August.
Swing Dancers of NOLA
One of the most commonly used resources for coordinating friends and visitors to New Orleans is the Swing Dancers of NOLA Facebook group.
Facebook Pages to Follow
Bamboula's Hot Trio featuring Giselle Anguizola
514 Frenchmen St
2pm Live Music, 5pm Lesson
Tip the band & instructors, support the bar
Happy Hour Swing
Spotted Cat Food & Spirits
2372 St Claude Ave
4pm Lesson, 3-6pm Happy Hour
Tip the instructors, support the bar
Informal Social Dancing
618 Frenchmen St
6-9pm Live Music, Rotating Bands
Tip the band & support the bar